Thursday, April 17, 2008

Home Again

Mom and I are home now. The past 2 days have been absolutely mind numbing and humbling. Mom came home by ambulance today around 11:15 and we met Judy (our wonderful intake nurse) and Patty, our social worker at the house maybe 15 minutes after we arrived. I don't think that moving the President takes as much planning and coordination as moving Mom home today. I need to say thank you to Mary Lou, our social worker at the hospital - whenever I had a problem, she would say - Give it to me and she would deal with it. Her attention to Mom's comfort coordinating the details made this easier. From faxing prescriptions to making sure everyone had signed off everywhere made this crazy day easier. (PS. Thanks Priscilla for tracking me down today. You were a welcome surprize.)

Mom is still throwing up. We are messing with her nausea meds and pain meds to keep her comfortable and hopefully will get this under control. This pain/nausea that is happening now is a new thing, and some of our old tricks are not working this time around. I have to go to Garner at 6:00 to pick up some meds that are being compounded for Mom as I write. The blockage is sending everything that goes down back up right now. After the last round of throwing up around 2:30, we are trying a different tactic w/the compounded meds being another option. It takes about 3 hours to make these so that is why I don't have them in the house right now.

We met a new oncologist that has admitting privileges at Cary Wake. He will be Mom's attending now. Mom and I both like him a bunch. Believe it or not, he actually knows George. Small world.

We may need a couple of days to settle down before we are back open to company. The hospital stay was very tiring and we need to figure out the best way to keep Mom comfortable before we open back up for visitors.

Mom is running a slight fever right now. We are watching this to see if it increases or just a one time deal. She had some Tylenol this afternoon, and I am hoping this was absorbed before the last round of throw ups.

No comments: